LEPL Rafiel Dvali Institute of Machine Mechanics
History of the Institute
The Institute was founded on 5 November 1959 by the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the Georgian SSR (No. 750, 22 September), and was named the Institute of Machine Science.
The fpunding initiators of theInstitute were academicians Raphiel Dvali and Vakhtang Makhaldiani, whose research onmobile machines and engins running in mountain conditions provided a basis for the creation of the Institute and used to build the institute and formulation of its main activity.
In 1970, the Institute was renamed into the Institute of Machine Mechanics.
Since 1994, the Institute has been named after Raphiel Dvali.
In 2006, the Institute was founded as a Legal Entity of Public Law – LEPL Raphiel Dvali Institute of Machine Mechanics
From the day of its foundation until 1960, academician V. Makhaldiani was the Acting Director of the Institute.
In 1960-1961, the Director of the Institute was Giorgi Ambokadze, Candidate of Technical Sciences.
In 1961-1972, the Institute was led by Iovel Jebashvili, Candidate of Technical Sciences.
In 1972-1985, Rafiel Dvali, prominent Georgian scientist and public figure, academician of the Georgian Academy of Sciences was appointed Director of the Institute.
In 1985-1998, Iovel Jebashvili, Professor and corresponding member of the Georgian Academy of Sciences, was Director of the Institute again.
In 1998-2006, the Institute was led by prominent scientist Robert Adamia, academician of the Georgian Academy of Sciences.
From 2006 until today, Director of the Institute is Tamaz Natriashvili, academician of the Georgian Academy of Sciences.